Spinning up an instance / virtual machine
- Log into your Yellow Circle Account
- In the Computer menu, select Instances as shown below.
- You are now in the Instances overview, which is probably blank if this is your first time.
- In the top menu, click on Launch Instance.
- Give your instance a name. I recommend Linux mint, then click next.
- In the filter menu, type mint. Linux-mint-live-cd will then display. Click the + button to the right of it and Click next. See below for reference.
- You will now be in the Flavor menu. Flavor refers to the size of the instance such as memory, processor, disk space, etc. Find lab.medium and press the + button to the right.
- Click Launch Instance. If it’s grayed out, go to the bottom of this tutorial for help.
- Your instance will then begin to spawn as shown below.
- Within a few moments your instance will be ready. It will stop being orange, and the status will be Active.
- Console into your new instance by clicking the drop down menu on the right and select console.
- You will now see your desktop. You will want to click on the “Click here to show console” link to begin using the instance. You will find it in the blue text box above your instance. Read the whole text box to understand how to use this option.
*If Launch Instance is grayed out, you either missed a step in this tutorial, or you have not completed the Creating a Private Network tutorial. Click here to be taken to the tutorial for assistance.